Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"...a hard-working time" - Clay Workshop

A clay campfire and clay logs ready for the campers.
Concentrating. Working.
Why my driveway looks like for the first 50 feet.

Question: Describe your experience in this class. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it what you expected?

Cooper: I liked it because I've never made pottery on a wheel before. It wasn't what I expected because a I usually just work clay with my hands but we used a wheel.

Jessica: I liked the class very much. It was fun and enjoyable. I've never done much with clay and this made me want to try it more. This is what I expected and more. The class is a hard-working time but it is fun. It isn't like you can't talk and the teacher is always willing to help and answer questions.

Sarah: I liked it a lot. I got to make a lot of cool things and had many choices. It was what I expected because I have taken a pottery class before with someone else. I have to say I like this one better. I leaned how vinegar is good to use with clay to connect pieces of clay to one another.

Lauren: It was what I expected because it was very, very fun. I liked it because you would never just sit there. You would always be doing something.

Leah: I love clay class because I can use my imagination. It was what I expected. I thought it would be fun and it was.

Adult evaluation: The teacher had the attention of the students. She was direct in instruction and made good eye contact. Also, I felt the students gathering around the table in a circular manner was good. I feel this is a very successful program. Any time a child can learn a new skill or try something makes it successful.

Bridget: I liked it because the experience is great! I also liked it because I learned how to properly make a clay bowl without having it crack or fall apart.

Kevin: I liked this class because I've always wanted to learn about throwing pots and making figures. I learned about physical and chemical changes.

Mike: Yes, I liked it because you got to make stuff with clay.

Kailee: My experience in the clay class was a lot of fun. I loved it. It was everything I expected and more. I learned how to throw pots on the pottery wheel properly. I also learned about the chemical changes that occur within the clay.

Madi: I love the class because I got to use the wheel. I thought it would be like, "Here's some clay. Make something." but it wasn't. It was awesome. She really went along with all the steps 1 by 1 and if you messed up she would not really care.

Ryder: I liked this class because I love to learn new things and this was right up my alley.

Ridge: I learned that it is not hard to blow things up in the kiln.

Mitchell: I loved this class. I looked forward to it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I learned that you should take your time on your work and that the pottery wheel is harder than it looks.

Tyler: I loved this class. It is so much fun and you're able to go your way which I love. It was great. There is nothing better.

Morgan: Time flies when you have fun with clay. I came last year and had a blast.

Nick: I liked the way ideas sparked when I didn't know what to make. It was better than I expected see how I was forced to go.

Daniel: I learned that you need to take your time and not rush because if you rush the clay will not hold together.

Katie: I learned that when my mind and hands work together I can make something FABULOUS.

2 comments:

Joanne Allen said...

What a great blog!
I love the photos of the young people concentrating and learning and having fun at the same time.
Their comments tell it all; they greatly enjoyed the experience.
Thank you for working so hard to make summer vacation special for so many kids.

KeylessPiano said...

Thank you, Joanne. They were a marvelous group to work with.